Hello again, everybody! I’m back in your inbox this morning with your new edition of the The Haddams-Killingworth Daily. Follow along to find out the most important things happening these days in town…
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the The Haddams-Killingworth Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
Now, today’s weather:
Hot; heavy afternoon t-storms. High: 92 Low: 71.
Here are the top three stories in The Haddams-Killingworth today:
- If you’re wanting to add a fuzzy ball of love and affection to your household, look no further than these Haddams-Killingworth area shelters for a pet to take home. About 6.5 million companion animals are given to adoption agencies each year nationwide, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. However, only around half of all shelter pets are adopted each year, according to ASPCA data. Looking to adopt a loving new family member? A great place to begin your search is at Change A Life Dog Rescue, where Portugal the dog is waiting patiently, or another local rescue center. (The Haddams-Killingworth Patch)
- The Lyman Orchards maze in Middlefield is open for its 16th season. It is filled with 350,000 red, yellow and orange sunflowers and this year’s theme is children’s character, Daniel Tiger. According to Eyewitness News 3, “a dollar from every admission ticket sold goes to Connecticut Children’s.” (Eyewitness News 3)
- Iit’s hot! A heat advisory is in effect until 8 pm Friday and there is a chance for afternoon and evening thunderstorms across the state. There doesn’t look like there will be a break in the heat anytime soon. The weekend continues to look hot, temperatures around 90 degrees, and more storms are possible on Saturday afternoon. Try to stay cool and hydrated. Make sure animals have access to water and check on your loved ones! (patch)
Today in The Haddams Killingworth:
From my notebook:
- Connecticut Draft Horse Rescue: Tinker Part II recently, we showed you how great Tinker is under saddle. Now, let’s take a look at just how sweet and playful he is. Here he is with his buddy Trick.” (Connecticut Draft Horse Rescue via Facebook)
- Killingworth Library Association: “Many thanks to everyone who attended this summer’s sessions of Tiny Thinkers! These small but mighty scientists explored everything from water, weather, and gravity to sound and building! We had fabulous feedback from our participants, a…” (Killingworth Library Association via Facebook)
- The Congregational Church at Killingworth, UCC: “The Congregational Church in Killingworth UCC Sunday 10 am services and Wednesday 7 pm Bible studies” (The Congregational Church in Killingworth, UCC via Facebook)
- Killingworth Library Association: “Remember that the library is a great place to keep cool! We’re open Thursday 9 am – 7 pm, Friday 9 am – 6 pm, and Saturday 9 am – 1 pm If you’d rather lay low at home, also remember that we have a variety of e-content available.” (Killingworth Library Association via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Thanks for following along and staying informed. I’ll see you soon!
— Karen Garrity
About me: I am a native of Connecticut, who currently resides in the Tri-Town community of Chester, Deep River and Essex. I have been a community reporter for the better part of the past 20 years. I love my small town community and I am honored to be a part of Patch.com. You can reach me at; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming The Haddams-Killingworth Daily? Contact me at email@example.com