Deaf man brutally assaulted in Auckland’s CBD

A deaf man was attacked in a brazen, unprovoked attack in broad daylight in the Auckland CBD this week, and his family is calling on the public to help identify his attacker.

The video shared online by his family shows the incident on Tuesday afternoon around 2 p.m. outside the Countdown Metro supermarket on Victoria St West in the CBD.

Amir Jafary, 44, who was born deaf and has Asperger’s Syndrome, was filming outside the supermarket when he was hit from behind.

The video shows a man picking up a large metal post used to rappel down the line for the supermarket and punching Jafary right in the head.

The video then shows Jafary stumbling into the supermarket to ask for help, moaning in pain and unable to communicate while others try to explain what happened to staff.

Jafary’s family told the Herald that he was shooting a sign language social media video when the attack took place.

They said sharing videos online was one of his main hobbies and he told his viewers about the Covid controls in the supermarket at the time of the attack.

They said he was initially reluctant to tell his family what happened and they were shocked when they finally saw it, saying the attack was “heartbreaking”.

His concerned family told the Herald that he was shaken and emotional and could not understand why he had been attacked.

In response to online speculation that the attack might be linked to the regular presence of homeless people outside the grocery store, Jafary’s family said they had no information about the attacker but asked if the attack was caused by the false assumption that he was in a gang could have been triggered because he was dressed in red from head to toe.

They described Jafary as “a little showman” who “likes to dress up”.

His family said they wanted him to continue receiving medical treatment. (Photo / Supplied)

About the attacker, his family said: “At the end of the day it happened, he used a weapon and attacked a disabled person – and that is not okay.”

They said Jafary has so far been unwilling to seek medical treatment and has only put “a plaster” on his head wound.

They wanted him to seek further advice and have his injuries examined.

They said it wasn’t the first time Jafary, who lives in the CBD, has been targeted.

“He’s really an easy target for opportunists,” his family told the Herald.

A countdown spokesman told the Herald that their staff did not witness the incident, but Jafary immediately provided first aid and called emergency services.

“Because of the central location of our countdown shop on Victoria Street, people often sit in front of it, and as long as they are safe and not causing public disruption, we respect their right to share public space,” the spokesman said.

“Our entire team is trained in what to do to protect themselves and our customers, and will alert the police or other emergency services when a situation arises that requires assistance.”

A police spokesman confirmed they were investigating the incident and said that police received a report of an attack on Victoria Street West at around 2:20 p.m. on November 23.

“A man allegedly attacked another man before he left the scene. The investigation into the incident is ongoing.”