A 15-year-old boy suspected of shooting four people – one fatally – on the outskirts of New Orleans’ central business district on Sunday before attempting to flee the city was arrested, police said Monday .

Meanwhile, investigators were still working to identify all suspects in a shootout that injured five people on Bourbon Street a few hours earlier. One of these victims is said to have been involved in the shooting, the police said.

The shootings in Bourbon Street and near the CBD crowned a particularly violent weekend in New Orleans, in which three people were killed and 14 others were shot injured.

After a person was found in a shooting on the outskirts of New Orleans’ central business district on …

During a press conference Monday afternoon, Police Chief Shaun Ferguson said the fatal weekend had hurt the city’s modest gains in battling an increase in non-fatal shootings and murders.

Ferguson said July was the second straight month the city saw a decline in the number of reported killings.

The teenager arrested in the CBD shootings allegedly shot another 15-year-old boy, two 16-year-old boys, and a man whose age was not available on the 1600 block of Iberville Street around 4:40 a.m. All victims were in taken to the university hospital, where the 15-year-old died and the others were listed in a non-life-threatening condition, the police said.

The accused gunman later went home and said he shot a boy whose name matched one of the hospitalized people, law enforcement officials told Times-Picayune. He reportedly packed up his things, said he was leaving town, and warned his relatives that if they came to get him, he would flee the police.

A family member alerted 911 and officers took the boy for interrogation on Sunday. He was charged with murder in connection with the shooting.

The police did not disclose the boy’s name because he is a minor. Ferguson said the teen suspect was friends with one of the victims and the boss described talking to the relative who reported the teen suspect.

“She’s upset, very emotional,” said Ferguson. “She had to make a difficult, but brave and right decision.”

In addition, investigators discovered a luxury sports utility vehicle that stopped on the side of Interstate 10 in New Orleans East that they suspected had been used in the quadruple shootout. There was a girl in the SUV, but on Monday it was not immediately clear whether she was accused of misconduct.

Twice a day we send you the biggest headlines of the day. Register today.

In the Bourbon Street shooting, police said that two people were shot at each near the Orleans Avenue intersection during an argument at around 2:05 a.m. Sunday. Men aged 25, 30, 36 and 51 were injured. The age of the fifth victim was not available.

Ferguson said the shooting took place between two people, and investigators believe that one of the wounded fired a gun during the firefight. Police are still looking for the second shooter and posted a surveillance photo of him in the hopes that someone who recognizes him will report him.



August 2, 2021, Bourbon fivefold suspect

Police are trying to identify this man, a suspect in a five-way shooting on Bourbon Street on August 1, 2021. Via NOPD

Officials also identified a 29-year-old man named Kareem Moore as a suspect in the investigation, although they did not say he shot anyone. Moore is wanted for illegal gun possession and obstruction of justice.

Three other people, including two in the lower 9th division, were shot dead in other cases later on Sunday.

The first shooting of the Lower 9th Ward took place around 8:30 p.m. on the 1500 block of Tupelo Street, where a 38-year-old man was shot while sitting in his car, police said. About 20 minutes later, a 48-year-old man was shot in the leg on the 700 block on Caffin Avenue.

Around 11:25 p.m., a woman showed up at Tulane Medical Center with shards of bullet in hand and said she was shot at a house party despite not knowing exactly where it was.

Five other people were shot dead in three separate incidents on Saturday. These included two victims who were killed: a 17-year-old boy on Curran Boulevard in New Orleans East and a 25-year-old man on Magnolia Street in Central City.

The officials did not disclose the names of those shot at the weekend. And with the exception of the quadruple room on Iberville, they didn’t say they’d identified any suspects.

Ferguson asked community members to call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111 if they had any information about the spate of weekend shootings. Tipsters may be eligible for a cash award.

Five people were injured in a shooting on Bourbon Street early Sunday morning, New Orleans police said.

Purchases made through links on our website can earn us an affiliate commission